I have a heavy question, it might take you by surprise, it might be more than you expected, and some of you might feel overwhelmed and unable to answer but riddle me this. Are you actually living the life you’ve always wanted to live? Are you happy? Like truly, deeply happy? Do you feel if you left this earth today, that you have done all that you could’ve done? If your answer is no, then why not? If you’re wondering why I might question this, then please pay attention, as I feel like I need to get a certain point across.
“For God who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness’ made his light shine in our hearts” 2 Corinthians 4:6.
You deserve to be everything you have ever wanted to be. Often, we shy away from our true callings; we conform ourselves to fit in with what everyone else is doing and believing in. We allow ourselves, and sometimes force ourselves, to follow the norm, to be someone who we aren’t, just hoping to be accepted by others. We sacrifice our faith, our beliefs, and everything we should be fighting for, just to belong. Convincing ourselves that we must follow everyone else, as we are too afraid of what people might think or say about us if we don’t. It might even get to the point where we distance ourselves from our relationship with God because of them.
This results in us hiding our true selves. It can get to where we don’t recognize who we are anymore, and even to the point that we don’t like who we’ve become. Not everyone is going to appreciate you, and that is okay. The only opinions that matter on who you choose to be and what you choose to believe in, is yours and God’s.
“In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16.
It is important to let your light shine, regardless of what others think, you shouldn’t hide yourself and your beliefs because of people’s views and opinions. If you only seek the attention and appreciation of others, then that is all you will ever receive. Yes, you will become noticed by them and accepted as one of their followers, but you won’t find a deeper reward…. there isn’t anything beyond their acknowledgment. Your meaning becomes nonexistent and your journey is unfulfilling. Yes, those around you will notice and accept you, but for what? For hiding yourself and your faith? For becoming someone you know you aren’t?
“No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.” Luke 8:16
When you let your light shine, you will be rewarded for doing so, and when you live your life for God, don’t hide your beliefs, and instead, focus on doing good, this will result in you being rewarded in Heaven. The light inside of you is His light, it comes undoubtedly from God. His light inside of us is to help direct us back to Him, to find our way to God. When you allow yourself to fully let the light inside of you shine, share His teachings, and perform good deeds, He will fill your heart with His praise every day.
While the light inside of you refers to your faith and undying love for God, it also relates to the life you lead. Not only should you not hide your beliefs and conform to society’s standards, but you also need to follow your calling. Your life has a purpose. What that purpose is, is completely up to you. The light God placed inside of you and the sacrifices Jesus made for you to have a place in this world wasn’t to be discarded and pushed to the side because of someone else’s view on religion. You’re unique, your passion and mission in this life are special… if you don’t use the gift that was given to you, then you’re not following the path God has planned for you. We have all spent enough time trying to fit in with others’ standards; it is time to follow your own path, do what you love, and live the life that you want to (while glorifying God in all that you do).
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.”- Matthew 5:14
How might one do this? Well, there are many ways you can let your light shine! Here are a few to get you started.
• Stay Connected with Your Faith: Don’t sever your ties with what you believe in. Focus on your personal relationship with God and don’t hide it. You are allowed to believe in whatever you want to believe in. Embrace everything about your faith and allow it to lead you in life.
• Do Good: Find a way to spread love and kindness. Don’t neglect the little things! Everything can make a difference, and no matter how small the deed, someone out there appreciates it. Donate when you can, help your elderly neighbor, tell your family you love them, open doors for others, etc. Focus on helping anyone that needs assistance. Practice God’s teachings!
• Focus on You: Find what makes you happy and pursue it. The only way you will feel fully connected is to find your purpose in life and to pursue that mission. Everyone has a path, and finding yours is important in discovering what you can do more.
• Spread Love: no matter how consuming people can be, don’t allow them to steal your light. It is important to not let someone taint your view and what you believe in. God’s light is one of love, passion, and forgiveness. Spread your love everywhere you go, we promise, it will be worth it.
• Cut Out Those Who Don’t Support You: It might hurt, scare you, and be extremely difficult to do. However, if someone doesn’t support your beliefs, your choices, and your goals, then they don’t support you. You don’t need people who choose to bring you down, negatively impact your beliefs, and try to destroy your faith. It is best to distance yourself from those who don’t truly have your best interests at heart.
It is time to stand up for who you are, for what you want to do, and what you believe in. Don’t let others dictate your thoughts and actions. Rise up and shine your light bright! When you do, you will live a God-driven life and bask in all His glory and goodness. This world is full of darkness, we are the light that shines through that darkness. We are the beacon that leads people to safety, and to Jesus.
Be blessed and know that you’re absolutely unique and loved!